I wrote about PortaldoSites the other day, and now here’s another browser hijacker that actually does exactly the same thing. So you may ask, why bother? That, my friends is a very good question, and the answer to it is that some users consider Qone8.com to be a reliable (!) search engine, which is obviously not the case. This website is a browser hijacker, because it changes your home page without your permission. Although it seems to perform regular search engine services and functions, the fact that it settles down on your browser without your permission is a huge no-no.
The site itself does not host malware or anything like that, but we are more concerned with what it can lead you, if you end up using its search engine service. For example, Qone8.com could be related to commercial third-party advertisements. What’s wrong with ads, you may ask. Don’t they help you find out the things you need? Yes, sure. As long as they are not related to computer malware, but Qone8.com is usually not responsible for the third party ads that are displayed through it, so it might be as well that you end up being infected with malware if you click on any of these advertisements.
So basically, that is the main reason why you should remove Qone8.com. You see, on its own the search engine is just an annoying nuisance, but if it gets used by malicious programs, then there is a high possibility that Qone8.com because a malware distribution tool.
In order to avoid this browser hijacker, you should be careful about downloading freeware applications from third party websites. I know this has been said over and over again, but it is true! A lot of free software programs are bundled with unnecessary applications, and you may not even notice how such thing as Qone8.com gets installed on your PC.
How to remove Qone8.com
- Press Alt+X and click Internet Options.
- Select Advanced tab and click Reset.
- Check Delete personal settings box and press Reset.
- Click Close and OK.
- Press Firefox button and go to Help.
- Click Troubleshooting information.
- Press Reset Firefox on a new tab.
- Click Reset Firefox again and then Finish.
- Press Alt+F and go to Tools.
- Click Extensions and remove unwanted plugins.
- Click Settings on the left and go to On Startup.
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages and click Set pages.
- Change your home page and press OK.
- Select Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, delete Qone8.com and click Done.
Also, if you want to be sure that you have removed all the unwanted files from the PC, you should scan your PC with a reliable scanner, and then invest in a computer security program if necessary. Well, you know the drill 🙂